Sunday, September 1, 2013

HAPPY FIJIAN FATHER'S DAY!
Today is father's day in Fiji, and quite a few men came to church this morning.  One father wished me a happy day, and then told me his wife stayed at home to cook dinner for him because that was her duty.  I don't think that will catch on in the U.S.  That's the way it is, here in 'paradise'.

I have been going to one store to buy refrigerator's, washing machine's and microwave's for a year now, and I've gotten to know the salesmen and cashiers quite well.  The other day, one of the salesmen sat me down while writing up the order form (which usually takes about an hour no matter how many items I need), and then started to open up about his family.  He knows how important families are to the LDS and couldn't help just talking to me about his life.  He said sixteen years ago, his parents and sister all moved to the U.S. leaving him here alone to "take care of the land inheritance."  He has not talked to his family, nor seen them since that time--lots of anger and resentment because of that.  He said his sister called him for the first time, and it surprised him so much, he had to talk to someone about it.  All I could say was that his family is the most important thing in this life, and that all he can take to the next life was his character, his intelligence, and the relationships that we develop while here.  He stared at me for a short time, then tears started to flow.  He was certainly touched by the Spirit.  He must have said "Vinaka vaka levu" to me at least six times, and shook my hand for about that whole hour (you know I'm exaggerating), so now I know a seed has been planted.  That's all it takes to do missionary work, just let the Spirit touch people, and listen to them.

The previous week the cashier in the same store asked me what she should do about being married to a man who was physically and mentally abusive to her.  She says she loves him, but cannot tolerate the situation much longer.  I told her that her husband didn't love her like Christ does, and that she should pray for her husband, and let him know that she was doing that for him.  Also that service will express her love for him.  I'm starting to see a change in her demeanor lately, so I can hardly wait to ask her privately how things were progressing.  I'll let you know as I find out more.

Even though I don't get to proselyte all the time, people notice how we act, and are very curious as why we are so different.  I encourage them to ask me questions, and of course, I ask them questions, and LIFE ON A MISSION IS GREAT!  Good people looking for answers in their lives.
I may have taken another picture of this, but I just learned  what it's called Yesterday-today and tomorrow
It has white, lavendar and purple blooms on it.

A young girl who we met when we first came to Fiji came into our office to sell us some flowers the other day.  The first time she just had the pink ones but I like the peach with green trim and we and the sisters each bought some.  This girl has been pushed by her father and brother to sell flowers as part of their support and we haven't seen her for a while at the store we shop at, so it was nice to have some flowers in our office, and help her out. a bit.

With sister Whiting gone, and sister Newsom scrambling to learn the finances I've inherited doing the birthday board.  Sister Whiting would call each missionary and get their favorite food, color, etc and a picture of each of them.  I made an executive decision and decided their name and birth date is all I could do  The Happy Birthday thing on the board was something I found out in the copy room, so I clipped it up and called it good.  Elder Hogge's B day was this month, but he was happy as a clam that no one made a fuss for his birthday (I've learned not to push it or he gets cranky).  Then  last week,, Sister Newsom bought a cake for Sister Limburg's birthday and  Sister Limburg insisted we sing to Elder Hogge too, which we all did in spite of his "you don't need to do that".

The top block is missionaries and three senior couples who are coming by Sept 10th
The bottom row is 11 of the sixteen coming in November.  I can't create the card until their
paperwork for immigration comes and I can use the extra pictures for their board card.

last week we prepared 2 lunches (one for about 35 and the other 20).The first was ham sandwiches, potatoe salad, pasta salad and brownies, ice cream and homemade chocoate syrup for dessert.  The second one we used some of the leftover salads and made an Italian dish that had a creamy layer made of  Butter, cream cheese and heavy cream.  The missionaries kept commenting how good it tasted and I thought it's no wonder with a creamy
filling like that!....am I gaining weight?.......no...... my clothes are just shrinking.

Sister Maile and Vai both wore yellow T shirts today little did sister Vai know she was headed for a fall
down some steps later in the week and sprained her ankle pretty bad.

It was great to see some of these elders who are on outer islands so we don't see them very often.  It was great to have them take some of the mail and packages from our office that we have a hard time getting to them (we have to put them on a boat and then call the ZL's and have them meet the boat, pick up the mail and deliver it to their  missionaries.

I kid you not, Elder Rylan Olsen was like a kid in a candy store when he saw what was for dessert and excitedly kept saying chocolate sauce and clapping his hands.  He loaded up his bowl and headed for his table.  Then about a minute later he was back in line in the kitchen!  I asked him what happened, and he said he gave it to his companion.
 I think he liked putting his dessert together and anticipating how it would taste, as much as he enjoyed eating it. 

I went with Elder Hogge to check out a flat that was just vacated by some elders.  He went on Thursday (service day) and supervised the elders cleaning it right.  To both our amazement, when the landlord met with Richard
 to inspect the flat,  he gave him the deposit money back.  Something that rarely happens here.  (way to go Elder Hogge)

Take care everyone and have a good week  Sister Hogge


No comments:

Post a Comment