Sunday, August 25, 2013

BULA BULA everyone!  These last two weeks have been REAL.
I took this picture of our sidewalk while Elder Hogge took the garbage
can back by our flat.  The smooth cement on either side is our sidewalk at
the base of our driveway and you can see how everyone wanted to leave
a little history in the patch with initials, shoe imprints, and bare feet.

The AP's went out of town and when they came into the office
their eyes told us they didn't get much sleep.  When it was quiet
we discovered where they crashed and took a quick pic (waiting area
in front of my desk).  President Savu who takes care of the temple grounds
sometimes comes in, sits down, and also rests for a few minutes.

Last weekend, we drove around the whole island picking up bikes needing repair, delivering mail,& looking for flats.  The Wells were scheduled to fly from Nausori (our side of the island) to the Nadi (other side of thr idlsnf to catch a flight the next morning. When they heard we were driving, they cancelled their flight and rode with us.  One of Elder Wells favorite Fijian words is Wananavu so we had to take them to lunch at the Wananavu Resort.

This month is the Hibiscus Festival in Suva.
President Klingler's son and fiance are here for a
visit.  Our couple lunch was at Mangoes which is
away from the crowds in town for the festival

Elder and Sister Wells had reservations at the Tanoa in Nadi.  We didn't have eservations and went to 4 different
hotels looking for a room.  At Novatell, they called the Tanoa and found their was a vacancy, made a reservation for us, which made me happy as I was picturing us sleeping in the truck!  That night We had dinner at the hotel buffet and went to our room to play a game with the Wells. On their way back to their room, Sister Wells didn't notice a ramp at the exit from our wing of the hotel, and fell and bruised her ribs.  They had a wake up call for 5am so the shuttle could get them to the airport., so when we were woken at 5am with the phone ringing we thought the hotel must have mixed us up withthe Wells.  When it rang again we picked up and it was Joyce telling usshe had left her purse in our room.  They have to take Austrailian money to Tuvalu and apologized for having to wake us up so early.

Add caption

The Elders took us on a road through the village and when they stopped and pointed down the hill I thought, this couldn't be it because it looked more like a dump area.  The three flats at the base of this hill are actually newly renovated and are pretty nice.  The stuff is around the yard is left over materials from renovating and will
probably be hauled away eventually, as the landlord lives on the other side of the street and is Indian
and they take good care of their property. 

Elder Maiwiriwiri, Elder Lavaci, Elder Gadd, Ward Missionary

Theirs hope for this flat, as I found these charming pink flowers growing among the weeds at the side of this flat.

I had to take a picture of the view at the back of the flat,  the thatched bure type structure was interesting.

Here's what we saw when the Elders in a van ahead of us stopped and pointed, and illustrates the old saying "don't judge a book by it cover". This area has been a real challenge to find a flat in.  We had looked at another flat in this area several weeks agoand when we went to check if the landlord had made the repairs we requested, before signing a contract with him he said "oh I meant to call you to let you know I rented the flat to my brother".  I think that was because his brother was willing to take it as it was and he wouldn't have to make any repairs.
Anyway this flat is really an answer to our prayers.

We saw this sugarcane train by the side of the road where we were driving and I told Richard to stop for me to
take a picture.  He raced ahead of it and pulled into a spot ahead of it so I could get a picture.
As you can see, the engines aren't very big but they do pull a lot of  cars behind them.
I was excited to see one since you see cane being hauled in trucks mostly.

Richard stopped to ask directions and I had to capture this cane field

I know this doesn't look like much but this is our 3 drawer printer that the service centre sent up when our other much bigger and better printer died.  This one started having problems when Sister Limburg was doing a mass printing of the youth pamphlets and articles they need for the new youth program.  We print them for branches on the outer islands and ship them by boat.  They often don't have internet or computers to access these materials themselves as other members can,so Sister Klingler feels it gives them something versus nothing.  Isaia from downstairs came in with a technitoan and said New Zealand okayed our having a new printer since this one had hit a predetermined number of copies that are allowed.  The problem, the printer (below) is not only smaller but won't run as long as a three drawer printer before adding more paper.  To add grease to the fire he said New Zealand would only allow us to have one other smaller printer (ie two printers for the whole office)and they would be taking the 3 extra ones we currently use and rely heavily on to try and stay up with the work load.   

Here's our car for this week (the white rhino)  We dropped the red truck off to the Elders in Lautoka before
finding our hotel in Nadi and took the gray truck they were using back with us to Suva and gave it to the Elders
in Waila, who gave us back Wilma (the small teal car we had long enough to name) and it will be going to
the Leader Trainer Sisters to use (they are the first sisters to drive in our mission).  The Kennerly's, a mission support couple who will be finishing their mission the first week of September and will drive their truck over to Suva and we will be using it (hopefully) until the end of our mission in January, because there won't be a support couple coming to replace the Kennerlys.

Sister Lavatai, and Sister Fanene our LT's first sisters to drive in the Fiji Mission

The Wells just returned from Tuvalu and shared how faithful the branch President is there.  He has served in this calling for the past 26 years, but they said he is getting tired.  One of the challenges on islands is
having enough strong leadership to help strengthen the members so the branch can grow.

Today is Sunday, and we just heard from the Walkers who are in Savusavu (large island north of us)  They were robbed while asleep in their flat.  They think it was young boys who cut the screen, removed several slats from the shutters and climbed in the window.  They took their charge card, cell phone, and food.  They opened cans of tuna and chips on the porch outside and ate it leaving the packaging behind.  Fortunately they didn't take thier laptop computer or IPOD  and the Lord must be helping them, because the Wells are flying up to Savusavu tomorow and will be able to give them a new cell phone (from Elder Hogge) and a debit card the Walkers recently ordered that has arrived just in time for the Wells to deliver to them.
When I walked in the office today to do the blog Sister Newsom was here printing up her talk she will give at church today.  She said guess what happened yesterday after we all had lunch? (they went to the Hibiscus parade with Elder and Sister Tennis their  son, daughter and her husband and two kids) "a pick pocket stole my wallet out of my purse"   She said there was a lot of people crowding her on the sidewalk and a woman behind her kept pushing her on the bacc (probably setting her up for the pick pocket to take her wallet without her knowing it).
She had just got her laptop working for skype and was able to cancel her cards quickly.  She also lost her drivers liscense and temple recommend.  But she has a great positive attitude and will hopefully be able to work things out.

The Wells also traveled to Kiribati and feeling bad about waking us up on the last trip brought us 5 big chocholate bars that were in the airport for $7.00 rather than the$13.00 we pay for them in the store here.  They visited with the Edwards who have a 3 month assignment on Kiribati.  They have been battling with critters in their flat and Elder Edwards had caught 3 big rats and several mice using a trap the locals showed him how to use.  Talk about courage.

Last reality story... Sister Tennis and her Husband go walking in the morning and use Princess  (street above the temple because it's a wealthier area and people keep their dogs locked behind fences).  They went by a home and a Dobermine Pincer came out of nowhere and bit her calf (it didn't growl or bark).  She screamed and dropped to the ground while the dog ran into a yard where 3 other dogs were.  They quickly spoke to the woman in the house who said the dog wasn't hers.  They came in to see sister Limburg who cleaned the deep puncture wound and sent them to the hospital.  They irrigated the wound thoroughly and bandaged it, but serveral days later the doctor saw that her tissue around the wound was dying and they surgically removed a 2 inch circle of skin because a small area of the wound was beginning to look like gangrene was beginning.  He said if not removed,  the gangrene could spread and if it traveled up and down her leg and in a worse case scenario it could lead to amputation.  I marvel at the courage of Sister Tennis.  She was told by the doctor she would need to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks.  She said "you need to get me well in a week, I have family coming to visit us next Monday".   She is still having some concerns with it but both she and her husband are determined to stay until their release date in early November.
We're happy to report that we are healthy and busier than ever.  The next two weeks will be filled with preparing large lunches for missionaries on Tues and Thur and our big group of 22 missionaries will arrive Tues September 10th.  That night we will do a dinner for two senior couples (Kennerly's and Terry's) and two missionaries who are all heading home.  The next day we will be orienting the 22 missionaries, shopping for sulus and dinner for about 30 that night.  I thought that maybe the number of missionaries coming to our mission would begin to slow down but with 16 coming in November and 15 coming in January along with 19 missionaries heading home in January (ourselves included) I think I will be busy right up to the day we leave!  We just received the names of the replacement couple for the Wells and you guessed it, their last name is Wells.
Well I'd better close, but I want to be sure to congratulate my grandson Reven on his being baptized by his dad.  We are so proud of the decision you made Reven.  We want all our children and grandchildren to know how much we love. you and pray for you.  We're grateful to be serving a mission and have the health we need to do this work.  We know some of you have some adversity going on in your lives and encourage you to stay strong, and stay close to the Lord.  He loves you very much.  You are in our prayers,   Love Grandma and Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment